Wednesday, July 6, 2011

American Flag

I saw this hairstyle over at Babes in Hairland and I've got to give a shout out to her because she is AMAZING!  My princess fell in love with this style and wanted to wear it on the 4th of July so this is our version it.
I started by parting the hair from ear to ear so that I had a section in front.  I divided that section into two off-centered pieces - the larger piece being on the left side.  I secured that larger piece into an elastic. 
 I then created a part straight down the middle of the remaining hair.  I started with the right side of the part and divided it into 4 parallel, horizontal sections and I secured each section with an elastic.  I moved over to the left side of the part and did the same thing but I made sure to offset my horizontal sections from those on the right side so that they were not exactly even.  You should now have 4 elastics on the right side of the head and 5 elastics on the left side of the head.  (The extra elastic being from the first ponytail up in front.) 
 Feed some red ribbon through all of the elastic on the left side and some white ribbon through all of the elastics on the right side.  Make sure that the ribbon is through the elastic right at the middle point so that two equal strand of ribbon are hanging from each ponytail. 
You also want to make sure that the ribbon is the same length as the ponytail. 
 Now you will create a Quad Braid out of each ponytail by dividing the hair into two pieces and using the two ribbons and your 3rd and 4th pieces.  (Make sure you start braiding with the two ribbons between your center fingers so that they end up in the right place as you plate the braid.)  Secure each braid at the bottom with an elastic. 
 When all 9 braids are done you will cross them over to the opposite side of the head so that the reds and whites are alternating. 
You can either bobby pin them in place at this time or combine each side into an elastic which is what we've done here because my princess has pretty long hair. 
 Add a blue hair clip over the front left elastic to finish off the look of your flag. 
Very fun!

1 comment:

Kristen Hagin said...

We did this hairstyle this year! It was wonderful and very cute! Took a while to do, but she loved it dearly.