Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday's Films: French 4-Strand & French 5-Strand

We've had more than a few requests for these videos so I'm finally getting them up for you. 
First of all we have the French 4-Strand:
 Hopefully that makes sense for you and will help.
Here's a picture of the finished French 4-Strand.  This is cool because it's half a French Braid and half a Dutch Braid!
You can see that this side is the "French" half.
And this side is the "Dutch" half.
We just finished it off with a 4-Strand Braid and secured it with an elastic. 
Next we have the French 5-Strand:
The fingering it definitely a bit more tricky as you plait this braid but it is one that gets much better after a couple practices.
 
Here's a picture of one of our finished French 5-Strand hairstyles and you can find the original post for this one here.
There is also this hairstyle that we did a couple weeks ago and it's a diagonal French 5-Strand.  That original post is here.

7 comments:

L ~ S said...

Thanks! This morning I just was wondering about attempting a french 5-strand...now I have a tutorial.

Celine's Mum said...

This is soooo helpful. Thanks a lot!
I only have one problem. When I was using the 4-strand technique (will try the 5strand tomorrow) and I was using it for some kind of "halo" style, the middle strand that never gets any additional hair became thinner and thinner and nearly ran out of hair. It looked a little funny. What is the best opportunity to put additional hair in that strand if you really need the maximum length until the very end? (I really hope I make sense, but I can't keep wondering...)

Julie said...

Hi Celine - Their shouldn't be any strand that aren't receiving hair added into them at some point. Each plait for the 4-strand should go like this: the far right strand goes over and under and the far left strand just goes under it's adjacent strand only once. (Don't follow it with an over) Hopefully that make sense and the video wasn't confusing. :) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Can you do the five strand on yourself? I want to try to do it on myself but I can't figure out how

Julie said...

Honestly, I've never tried the French 5-Strand on myself but since I pretty much struggle with a regular French Braid on myself I can almost guarantee that I would not be able to do it! lol I di have a neighbor that wore hers that way to church yesterday after watching the video so I know it's possible. My fingers just seem to get tangled! :)

Celine's Mum said...

Oh Julie, you are a a genius! So that's what I was doing wrong all the time!

Anonymous said...

If you want to still braid your way, just make the section that doesn't get hair larger (more hair) at the beginning
xxx xxx xxx